How to use the VOCAL/ODR database
- Searches can be initiated on the ODR homepage.
- There available two basic search options. For keyword searches in various indexes use the
option. will initiate title and UDC browse searches and author and subject browse against authority controlled headings.
search option will lead to a separate subject heading database, which help you pick the right subject term before performing a search in the VOCAL/ODR database.
All three search options require the input of Hungarian characters with diacritics. In case you cannot key in the required character use % symbol instead. Other than Hungarian characters can be searched for without diacritics.
- keyword searches are efficient tools for locating specific documents. The size of the database makes it important for the searcher to use the most specific search terms available by ISBN, author and title, limit by date etc.
- a more general search term used in the absence of document specific information may result in a too big pool of returned documents. In this case it is worth trying to reformulate the search on the bases of information (author name, subject terms, UDC numbers) found in the first few relevant records.
- Keyword searches by location codes can show the number of documents a library is represented by in the database. Location codes are those assigned to libraries by the National Széchényi Library.
(pl. D1, D1/92, D1% stb.)
- In the case of names and subject terms browse searches are based on the headings and references of authority records.
- When searching for the works by a certain author or in case of subject searches it is worth using this option.
- As records, however, are from various sources, a certain document can be filed under various headings. In need of finding all possible documents and locations variant name and subject forms have to be searched for, (or a follow-up keyword search by the ISBN found in the relevant record can give a similar result.)
2. Location information
- Location information appears in long display format of bibliographic records.
- A more detailed copy and circulation information is available in the OPAC of some individual member library when clicking on the librarys's name.
- Location code searches can be performed on the keyword search form. (This type of search however must be done with caution as it can result in a vary large set of records and can considerably lengthen search time.)
Interlibrary loan requests can be initiated online only by libraries registered into the system. Registration can be administered on
at this site.
- Search for the required document in the database. It is recommended to use the "sort by title" option to get information about all copies in the database in a handy way.
- Display the records in long format to get location information.
- Select the library you want to address the request to. Selection is helped by copy specific information and circulation status accessible when clicking on the names of libraries and by some ILL policy statement of libraries accessible when clicking on the icon
- Click on the icon by the selected location to get the ILL request form:
- identify yourself as requesting library with your login name and password
- the basic bibliographic information are already displayed in the form
- information of the requesting and the addressed libraries is automatically attached to the request
- some other details concerning the exact location of the requested material within the document, method of delivery can be filled in, as well
- notes can be added manually in the bibliographic data field
- click on "Elküld" bottom to send your request or on "Töröl" to empty the form.
- after sending out the request the system displays a form with all details of the request, which can be printed using the browser's own print option.
Registration for requesting libraries
The database can be used for sending electronic ILL requests only by registered libraries. The registration process is the following:
- Open the registration form
- Fill in the form with your library details and choose a login name and password
Full name of the library
Name of ILL librarian
- Click on the "Elküld" bottom. At this point your data get into the database, but they are inactive.
- Print the filled form with the print option of your browser, add an authorized, stamped signiture of the library and post it to the address below:
Debreceni Egyetem Egyetemi és Nemzeti Könyvtár
4010 Debrecen Pf. 39.
- When the posted registration form arrives your password gets activated and you will be notified in an email.
Please, send us
your comments on the database and its functions.